Sunday, May 15, 2011

Lilac Festival

The lilac festival is something fun to do during May in Rochester. This year, it is only from May 13-22 10:30- 8:30. The lilac festival is something that the Rochester community has been doing for a long time. I go every year and as a result I feel more connected with the Rochester community.

The lilac festival is the only 10 day free festival of its' kind in North America. The festival hosts over 500 different varieties of lilacs. Lilacs are my favorite flower so it is always nice to see the many lilacs. I went to the lilac festival with my mom and sister. They also are fans of the lilac festival and they make sure to come yearly. They feature concerts, entertainment for children, food, games, etc. Even Gary the pirate (founder of the Pirate Toy Fund) is there doing entertaining some children. My mom loves the farmers market wine and tasting. She loves to sip and sample the different types of wine that are from the many local wineries. There is a pageant called the lilac queen (winner takes home a 1,000 scholarship). There is also a parade that comes through that is sure to please.

I would definitely recommend people to go to the lilac festival, especially if your not from Rochester.

Overall, It is a beautiful place to just sit back and enjoy what Rochester has to offer (for free)!

Oh...Did I mention that the festival has fried dough!


Located at 249 Highland Avenue in Rochester, NY

No comments:

Post a Comment